Thursday, February 7, 2008

We're home!

...and ready to take a nap.

Our flight from Moscow was late into JFK, and by the time we got through customs and immigration, we had missed our connection and there was no way to get to Omaha that night. The lady said that with my "low-price" ticket there wasn't the option to put me on another carrier. Well, trust me, I didn't think it was low price, and didn't they put me on a different carrier (American Airlines) to get me out of Omaha on the first leg of the trip? But no problem, I was totally fine rolling with the punches as long as they paid for the hotel, which they did (Ramada), along with transportation there and meal vouchers (two vouchers, $7 each, which barely covered the cheapest item on the restaurant menu).

It was actually almost a blessing, as when I was in the hotel room I felt almost dizzy and wondered why, then realized it was due to being incredibly tired. Amanda had done great on the long flight (not perfect, but only a couple of in-our-seats time-outs), but I hadn't been able to sleep much. When she was sleeping I couldn't sleep, and when I was tired she was awake and not willing to let me sleep. I'd tell her I was going to sleep, and she would say, "Mama speet" (which is Russian for sleep) but then she would pat me every 20 seconds to show me the new mark she's made on the coloring book page.

We had a good night's sleep (well, she did - I only slept about 5 hours) and got up at 1am, took a shower, gave her a bath, had some of our traveling breakfast options and took the 3:30 shuttle to JFK for our 6am flight to Cincinnati. Both flights today were without incident and only a few sitting time-outs. My friend Jan had arranged her/our friend Jenny to be pitch hitter as our airport pickup-person in her absence, and I appreciate both of them very much!

So, we're home and Amanda is enjoying tearing through everything, both that which is hers and that which is not. She has put her fuzzy puppy, new cups, new books and doll to sleep under a new flannel ladybug blanket and then moved on to discover wonderous new toys in other spots. She is really loving her new "stuff" - thanks again to everyone who has gifted her with welcome items already. =)

I have no food ready in the house, of course, so we made our first "solo" Omaha excursion to Runza, where she enjoyed fries with as much ketchup as she wanted!

And now, we are going to speet! More posting later, hopefully! (I have a lot of messy house to childproof - something that did not get that done pre-trip!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Amanda,

I am so glad you and your mommy are home now. I have so enjoyed reading your about your journey.

Hi Amanda, Drake here, or you may remember me as Andrey. I am so glad you are home. I love my forever home and forever family. I know it will be the same for you.

Please keep in touch as we all have special ties to each other. We come from the same place.

My mom says it is time for me to sleep as I have been up way past my nap time.

All our best, Drake, Dawn, and Shane

Maeflower said...

Hi Kathy and Amanda,
I hope you're both slumbering away and wake up refreshed and ready to begin your life as a family.
Thank you again for the phone calls. We were at exercise classes when you last called but really appreciated knowing you're home safe and sound. I looked at your blog because I thought you might have posted, and sure enough.
Love you both very much,
Babushka

Lynnette said...

Dearest Kathy and Amanda,

Welcome home! What a joy to know God has kept you safe in this journey and blessed you even with an overnight in JFK when needed.

I can only imagine how it feels to wake up in your home! For Kathy the start of a new life with a blessed daughter. For Amanda a home blessed with a Christian mother and such material blessings like ketchup! (I like my ketchup too).

May your life be full of the kind of blessings that you understand and may God give you patience for those blessings you don't understand at this time.

Love and peace,
Lynnette