Monday, February 4, 2008

She's an ace at testing

Don't be too surprised if this is my last post before getting back "stateside'. "Wireless" is just too unstable and I have no faith in their ability to get connected tomorrow.

I've been quite tired and have been putting us to bed about 8pm every night, but last night we stayed up until 9 (wow). So today we "slept in" until about 5:30. Oksana had called yesterday and said we would be picked up around 9:10. We had some yogurt, nutri-grain bar and an apple for breakfast. Amanda was being defiant and we had to take a time-out. I don't remember what it was about now, as it was just a precursor to the kind of day we had. We were ready to go on time, and then waited about 10 minutes. I had bundled Amanda up and by the time we actually got into the car, her hair was wet with sweat (we waited in the apartment until Oksana called to say they were downstairs). Amanda is quite the kid for sweating! After just a few minutes of playing with the beach ball the other night, her head was drenched.

Today's appointment was with the Russian consulate (I think - I just show up when I need to and bring what Oksana says to bring). It wasn't much of a trip - took longer to drive there than the actual time in the building. We went in the building to a waiting area, Oksana took our children's passports and some of the paperwork from the Embassy, we signed something, and she went in the office. Then she called me in and I signed my initials on a line in a book (sort of like a hotel register). One of the ladies in the office handed Amanda an orange and we were done. Then Elizabeth's turn and back to the car. Tomorrow Oksana will go back without us to get the passports back (or something...aren't I knowledgeable?) We have tomorrow off from anything official, so I will try to do some shopping and get our stuff organized for an early morning departure Wednesday (not too early - 8am or so).

We got back to the apartment and had some lunch, and she napped from 11:30-1, while the computer guy was here. Then we went out across the street to the market for some apple juice and coke. Amanda started acting up once we got in the store, goofing off, not standing up, grabbing things off the shelves. I was dumb and tried to make the short trip without a stroller. At one point I took her and found a corner and sat her in a time out. A guy came by and said something, while looking at me with suspicion. I just gestured with my hands and said, "She's being naughty. She's just being naughty." and he left us alone. Then off to checkout, but there were lines everywhere. Why were all these people shopping at the supermarket on a Monday afternoon? She was pretty good in line, and I was playing with her to distract her, but then she started grabbing and rolling around, etc. I hoisted her up in one arm and paid with the other, and we headed back.

You know, actually, the whole afternoon kind of blurs together so I won't detail it out. It was just episode after episode of her being defiant and talking back (as far as I could tell), willfully disobeying, and even swatting at my leg with her little hand. I hate to see her cry, but she is testing me to the max and she needs to understand that I am the boss.

We finally resolved the behavior pretty well and had some good stable moments, so I thought it would be good to reward her with a bath. She really enjoys taking baths, asking for several a day. I would give her more than one a day except it's so dry here, I'd hate to lotion her up 3-4 times a day, and also the apartment isn't that warm and once a day with wet hair is enough. Today, we tried something new in the bath, which I didn't think about during the other bath times, and that is laying down in the bath. She was kind of scared, but then just laughed and laughed, especially as I moved her body back and forth along the bottom. There was another new experience for both of us, and that was when she tooted and a little kak'ut came out. Ok! What does one do now? I grabbed a paper towel from the kitchen and removed it, and totally replaced the bath water. She wasn't panicked or embarassed, but I think just found the whole thing sort of interesting (maybe the most interesting to her was my reaction and rushing around).

The evening has gone pretty well - only one time-out needed. I taught her the memory game and she enjoyed that, playing it maybe 5 times in a row. I started out with only maybe 4 matching pairs and then added more in as she figured it out. She also has been putting together the one puzzle I brought many, many times. I'm glad it's a puzzle that I find fun to look at and put together (Tigger, Pooh, Piglet and Eeyore), since I've had to help with it at least 15 times just this afternoon. I looked for another puzzle in the market/department store but didn't feel up to an extensive search with her behavior.

She's been reciting quite a bit tonight, and every time I applaud her she takes the "stage" again and starts spouting more Russian. Sometimes I think she's just making up stuff or just talking out loud, but other times there are arm movements and it seems like a learned routine. They really taught them a lot of music and things at the orphanage. I can have a song pop into my head at any slightest thing, and she seems the same way with her songs or poems. She has a lot stored in that little head. And yes, I have gotten some of it on video. I should try to post a video but only seem to get the blog and pictures done.

I spoke too soon, she had to get in one last time-out before bed. So frustrating that she thinks it's funny to defy me and laugh when I tell her not to do something. Strong-willed child, indeed. They really know how to push your buttons!

6 comments:

Maeflower said...

Wow! It's nearly time to pack up your duds and return to the states.
Can't wait to see the little "ace" and hope your trip home is very unremarkable and Amanda is a good little Russian all the way. Hope you enjoy your last day there and we are all praying for you to have a safe trip home.
Love,
Mom and Dad
PS I can just see you two in the store and do agree that she does need to learn American disciipline!
I'm sure you'll get that taken care of.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy -

I hate to tell you this LIKE this, but no other choice. I am headed up to WI tomorrow for... well, you know. Jenn Kessler-Stutte will be at the airport to pick you and Amanda up on Wednesday night. She has all the flight info, and also Amanda's car seat.

I will also send an email to your Russian contact and also leave you a Vmail. Hopefully you'll know to expect her instead of me. Either way though, this was the easiest choice for me since I know you know her, and vice versa.

Have safe flight back! I'll give you a call when I'm back in town too.

Sorry about this.
You know my life.... no sense of timing whatsoever!
Love ya,
Jan

pianolady said...

HI "girls", I don't know the time difference between here and there so you may read this in Russia and it may be back here in the States. What a wonderful, exciting time this has been for you and Amanda--learning to know each other and for the most part the language barrier seems not much of one.

Thanks for your phone call. Too bad I was at church--I've signed up to cantor a few times--6AM was mighty early!! It's been a long time since I've done that.

May God protect you and Amanda as you begin your journey back. May the flights be good and the child better. :-)

Love and Hugs, Kaye

Lynnette said...

Kate,
In my humble opinion, you are doing really good to stay in control and keep enforcing the "I'm the mom" role while still showing her you love her so very much.

I'm going to miss this blogging when you get back home and get into your routine. Maybe you'll have time for a short blog each week? Time will tell.

Hugs, LKay

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

If you are able to read this before your journey home, I wanted to let you know I will be thinking of you. As I mentioned Amanda is acting just as Shane did. It sounds like you are really doing a great job at handling things.

As for the baths, I had to laugh because we were up to 5 a day in Moscow. It was the only time I could relax myself because Shane would lose himself in the tub. He loved it.

May your journey home be a quick one and uneventful.

Thinking of you and sending you well wishes and strength. I have walked in your shoes and I can totally relate to everything you are going through right now.

You are almost home.

Dawn

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kathy! Welcome to PARENTHOOD! I laughed through the whole first posting. (That's all I've had time to read.)You'll laugh too, one day. For now, NAP WHENEVER YOU CAN.

I am so very happy for you and Amanda Mae.

Love,
Jan Kolva (from Lynnette's church)