Well, it's weird, same window, but my wireless connection (titled "Wireless") totally disappeared yesterday (Sunday) and today. The internet guy came today - different guy from the last time, still couldn't speak English. He worked on it for an hour and a half with no results, and said someone would come later or tomorrow. We'll see. But tonight, I checked the available wireless connections, and there was "Wireless" again! Yea! Still only one bar for the connection strength but I'm thrilled to be back. I'll post my yesterday's blog which is ready to go and work on today's. It's been a heck of a day, but you'll have to wait for the next post to hear about that.
For now, Sunday:
Today we woke up about 4:30 - Amanda had to peeseet and then she decided she was up. I cut up an apple but she wasn't much interested. I also put some peanut butter on slices of bread (picked that up at the grocery store yesterday and wasn't sure what kind it was, but I'm pleased that it's just a light wheat. I was afraid it might be some dark rye or something I don't like). She wasn't interested in that either, just wanted juice. After a bit I said no more juice until she had some apple and peanut butter/bread. She understood and complied. I wasn't sure she would get what I was saying but she did - yea! She kept asking for soup, even though I'd show her the empty pot and tell her it was all gone. I certainly wish I had taken along another one or two packages of that instant soup - it was great!
It's weird - it feels like we're always eating a meal, no matter what hour. I'm not too worried about it - as long as it's nutritious I figure it's just important that she eat, and we can get on a schedule back in the US. Breakfast is pretty clear - fruit, yogurt, nutri-grain bar - something along those lines - but after that, we just eat dinner maybe 3-4 times a day. I put the cut-up chicken, pasta, broth from yesterday, and soup mix packets in a pot and tried to make some more soup. It turned out ok, kind of Chicken Mush, and we had that about 9am, and then at 9:30 I laid down with Amanda for her nap. She seemed really tired. She fell right asleep, although she was sad about it and repeated "neem-noga" (little, a little bit), which is what I said we'd sleep. She was snoozing loudly while I started typing this blog. The O'Daniels stopped by (with their beachball) for a visit, but Amanda was still sleeping, so they might come by tonight.
Patty, that Russian vocabulary/language CD you bought and loaned me has really been coming in handy!! Thank you a bunch for that! I wonder how much more I could communicate if I'd finished all the lessons, but it's great to be able to say bed, a little, cat, dog, table, chair, etc. It's been very helpful.
She's such an affectionate little girl. She's constantly smiling and coming over with her arms open for a hug and a kiss, and we have developed this routine where I kiss her and then I'll touch her nose with my finger and/or she'll touch mine while she says "Peep!" and I say " Boop!" It's so adorable, I have to say.
She had a scary moment while I was showering. I tried to tell her to go play with her toys but she kept coming in, playing peek-a-boo, etc. No big deal, but then she decided to close the bathroom door with herself outside of the bathroom. I don't know if it was just the fact that she couldn't get it open, or that the door trim on the outside by her came off and fell toward her, but she was crying in quite a panic when I got the door open. She came in and I grabbed her with a towel and comforted her. She stayed on the toilet until I came out, and I picked up the trim. It wasn't a problem to reattach, but I hope it stays put! I think she probably couldn't get the door open again and panicked, and while she was working on the door, she pulled the trim loose, which put her into major panic!
Yesterday, it was a bit colder and our walk wasn't as nice as the previous two days'. Earlier today, as she napped, it was snowing quite a bit, but later the sun came out. We headed out for our daily jaunt and it pretty nice - a bit cold when the sun took a break or when on a shady street. The slush from the snow was piled along the curbs though, so that made it interesting with the stroller.
We stopped and ate some pizza at Sbarro again. We were finished, and before we headed out I thought we'd go to the potty, so I left my scarf, hat and mittens on the table while we were gone. When we got back, some people were moving from our table, which confused me, but I gathered my stuff as Amanda explored what looked like water on the table before I could stop her. Our tray with the emply plates and cups was gone, but there was another there filled with water. Too late I realized it was beer and it was spreading across the table and had gotten to my stuff. I realized that the people had taken our table, spilled their beer and then moved. I was so mad! I looked where they moved, met the eyes of the lady with only 1/4 beer in her cup, and I didn't care if she couldn't speak English. I said, "You take our table and spill beer all over my stuff?!?" all the while gesturing toward her with my handful of beer scarf/mittens/hat. They weren't soaked, but still... Meanwhile, I'm holding Amanda's arm, trying to keep her from exploring her fingers, grabbing her coat and trying to get the stroller with my foot. I met her eyes again and said, "As if I don't have enough to deal with here!!!!!!!!!" Grrrr, I was mad. We made our way out of the tables and sat by the window while I wiped Amanda off and got her ready to go. She was not coorperative about going out the door with Mama but wanted to be contrary, so I got her outside and strapped her in her stroller.
I did come up with a new "weapon" in the stroller war. I don't know if I mentioned previously, but the stroller (which was free, a left-behind from another family and arranged by Carie & Chris - thanks guys!) has straps that rest quite low on her hips, so she pushes herself off with her boots and leans over and is practically out of the stroller onto her head. I've had to hang on to her hood to keep her in at times (when she's being particularly full of herself). Well, today I found the bungie cord which came with the stroller (to keep it together when folded) and put that under her armpits and attached to the bars in back. Ha! Try to get out of that you squirmer! She wasn't pleased but didn't really put up too much fuss, and it worked great.
I gave Amanda a bath when we got back from our walk. The O'Daniels didn't come over. so we just played and ate some chicken "mush" (it's actually pretty good) and peanut butter on bread and went to bed.
2 comments:
I'm sure that tying up the cows has helped you figure out how to contain Amanda in some small way but, way to adapt. Thanks to bunge cords life is easier. This is turning into quite a diary.
Kathy - it was good talking to you today and I'm glad we have a landline :) so you can reach us from Russia. It still was strange to think of you in your apartment way over there - kind of like when Patty was in Germany.
Safe travels my dear ones,
Lynnette
Post a Comment