I should have said "non-existent" thowing up instead of "fake" throwing up in yesterday's post. She wasn't really being impish about it, but it didn't happen. Fast forward a day and the dishpan got quite a workout!!
Amanda came into my room at 4am and wanted to come in bed with me. I took her to the bathroom for a dose of medicine, and she really resisted. Finally, she took it with my holding her nose (should help, right?) but then she spit it all out on herself. Did I mention I haven't done laundry yet? Let's see - this turtleneck can be a pajama top and here's some stretch pants (changed clothes after she successfully took another dose). She fell back asleep until about 7:20 and seemed fine - ready to take on the day. She said she wanted some eggs for breakfast, but as I was making some scrambled eggs, she asked for the small dishpan and said she was full. She grimaced like her stomach hurt but did eat one small bite of egg and some water, and she took both medicines. This was at 8:05 and at 8:35 most of it came back up. She was near the dishpan but did not hit the target - good thing Cindy didn't scrub the kitchen floor yesterday! (She never missed after that.) The rest came up at 9am and even when I didn't think she could have anything else in her, she still threw up a bit until 10:30. Poor thing. She cried and said, "Mommy, make it better!" I wish I could, honey. I worried about her being dehydrated, as they really emphasize how important it is from them to drink liquids, but any little water or 7-up she would drink would come up 10-20 minutes later (she didn't put this together so she never was reluctant to drink). She fell asleep in my lap about 11:30 and I put her in bed about noon.
She took a good long nap and woke at 2:40, seemingly bright and chipper. She kept saying she wanted a cookie but I told her that was not a good idea. She had some 7-up and I thought maybe her stomach had settled down, but she still threw up. About 3:30 I called the doctor's office and the PA called in a prescription for some anti-nausea pills. He said I could have medicine x, a small tablet to dissolve under the tongue, or medicine y, a suppository. Which would I prefer? Um, let me think - tough choice. Well, the dissolving pill seems much less ... intrusive? No surprise, I picked that one. First he asked if I had xkdkos or dhdisoa (I don't know what they were, so you figure out a name) in my house. Um, what are they? Anti-nausea medicine. No, I have nothing. Maybe he thought it might have been prescribed? Or they're OTC drugs? I asked the doctor (well, PA) whether 7-up was better than water, since that was what I remember from my childhood. He said the 7-up would give some extra (needed) calories, but water was just fine - whatever she could keep down. And he also mentioned that the codeine in the acetaminophen medicine could cause or contribute to the nausea. I didn't give her any afternoon doses - why fight her over something that will be back up in a few minutes? Really disheartening to know that I had been forcing her to drink this stuff that she hated and it could have been making things worse.
Anyway, I went to Target and got the prescription. She took it just fine - even said, "Nummy!" and she was just fine after that (still crossing my fingers). She wanted some of my supper but wasn't too upset to be denied. She ate some jello and had more 7-up. We blew some bubbles outside in the sun (maybe not a good idea to be in the sun - not exactly hydrating?) and then she took a bath and we read three books and to bed. I was in the spare room on the computer and I heard a little voice asking to go to the bathroom. I said yes, and I'd previously told her that she could get up and go to the bathroom anytime. I didn't hear her get out of bed, and then some minutes later, same query. I told her yes, I'd already said yes. Still no movement. Now I was curious - would she move? Nope. Another question, another yes, I didn't move, she didn't move. She fell asleep. Interesting. Probably bad mom - she would have moved if I had gone to her, no doubt. But she hasn't had much to contribute pee-wise so I guess it wasn't too urgent for her.
I told her that if she didn't drink a lot she might get sick and we'd have to go back to the hospital and get another IV. She said, "I don't want hospital" and I told her I didn't either. Is that mean? It's the truth. The doctor/PA said if the pill didn't work and she got dehydrated/ran a temp/got worse, we'd have to go to the emergency room and get some fluids in her. Not a trip I want to make! So I hope she drank enough post-pill to stave off dehydration. Seemed like she did a pretty good job (fingers still crossed, or still saying a prayer, actually).
2 comments:
I'm so sorry that Amanda (and by default you) are having such a rough time. I wonder if we had some problems I don't remember after our tonsils were removed. I'm not sure if the doctor took our adenoids. I pray the the new medicine will help her feel totally better and stay that way.
You are certainly getting a workout on this mommy business but you're both surviving and that's all that matters. I hope you both sleep well tonight.
Love,
Babushka
Dear sis,
xkdkos or dhdisoa - wow, your vocabulary is expanding along with your experience database. Sure do thank the Lord for your daughter's recovery.
Big sis
Post a Comment