Sunday, January 17, 2010

Solo debut

Our church had a talent show fundraiser for our youth Saturday night , and I volunteered Amanda to sing "Somewhere over the Rainbow". Uncle Lloyd gave her the DVD of The Wizard of Oz for Christmas and she has been watching it quite a bit, so she knows the song by heart, and she's constantly asking me to watch her "concert" in the living room, while she sings and performs, so she was a natural for a low-key, anything is fine talent show evening. I tried to rehearse with her, and get her to sing the song in one key, but that was pretty tough, and usually I made her cry (it's SUCH a good thing that I did NOT become a teacher when I was picking out my career path in college). She probably would have done much better if she'd had a better coach, and she did sing it better some of the times she'd belted it out at home, but it was fun and she did pretty well, especially when she finally shook off the silly shyness and took the microphone! The shyness was more for effect than actual necessity, in my opinion - she started out all hunched over, and wouldn't even hold the microphone. I don't know why I bothered with a starting note - I was just happy she started singing.

Next stop, Broadway! =D

Here's the link, since this stupid website won't let me upload it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29OCqYDzYeM

(I shouldn't complain - it is free and lets me communicate with all of you, and keep this as a record for Amanda - consider me self-chastised.)

The talent show was very good - lots of variety. One other "kid act" Amanda's age (two cute brothers), and lots of youth and older talent, singing and playing musical instruments.

(Side note: I didn't realize how bad my hair looked! Quite frizzy, still a bit wet from a late afternoon shower. Oh well, I'm in my "make sure she looks cute and do the bare minimum to make yourself presentable" years.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO! That was absolutely fabulous. You did a great job Amanda and your Mommy did great too. Love it!

Aunt Barb

Anonymous said...

Loved the video. Posted to my profile. Hope you don't mind:)

Babushka Sue