Sunday, August 2, 2009

Family Rocks!

Hello, August! You are not my friend, as I cannot believe July is gone. We had free admission to the Children's Museum in July through work, and I didn't get there once. July 11th I sang with the band (probably the only time I'll sub in all year), July 18-19 I was at a foster/adopt conference in Lincoln, and July 23-25 I was at a family reunion (my dad's side) in Clear Lake, IA. Oh well, we've been to the museum before and will again. Right now I'm ramping up for her birthday, planning for a preschool party before she is done with preschool and starts kindergarten Aug 12. So, even though her birthday is Aug 22, her friend party is Aug 8th. Tuesday night (7/28), I spent quite awhile writing out 20 preschool birthday invitations. Amanda wrote each classmate's name on the envelopes, so I did have her participate. It's going to be a Chuck E. Cheese birthday, and hopefully a few of the kids will come. The daycare/preschool she goes to is really good, and I've been quite happy with it. The only side note is that the kids don't go to each others' birthday parties. Maybe it's because people live scattered and not right there in the neighborhood where the daycare is. My coworker said it was true of the daycare when he took his kids there, but the daycare their youngest goes to, now that they've moved, is not that way. I told Amanda we're inviting her whole class, but that doesn't mean they're going to be there. I haven't received any RSVPs yet, but not surprising (and I can't complain, I am HORRIBLE at RSVPing). Her teacher said she would be there, so I'm happy about that.

Saturday (8/1), we drove to Nebraska City to meet Aunt Barb and go to a wine tasting gathering, "Wine under the Pines". There wasn't much geared for kids, but she had fun being with Aunt Barb, chatting with people and making new friends, and being her silly self. Here we are at Arbor Day Farm, catching a late lunch. Amanda is munching on the giant pickle that Aunt Barb bought for her!

Barb & I each got a wine glass and four taste tickets at the wine party. Barb gave me hers, and that night Amanda & I used them at suppertime with our milk. =)
She kept wanting to taste the wine at the event, so I would let her smell it and she would make a face and say, "Ewwww!" It was a beautiful day, there was a band, we had free wine and wine glasses (Barb got extra tickets with no cost to her or me). Woo-hoo! It was a fun day. I was tired when we got home at 5pm, so I took a 30-40 minute nap. Amanda didn't want, and I didn't make her take, a nap (she napped on the hour drive there), but I asked her to leave me alone. Which she did for 10 minutes at a stretch, coming in to say, "Mom, are you taking a nap?", then "Mom, can I watch a movie?" (yes), and my favorite, "Mom, am I being quiet?"

Questions like, "Mom, are you taking a nap?" have caused me to introduce her to the concept of sarcasm. She doesn't know the word, but she has gotten very well acquainted with it in action. When she asks me a "silly" question, I have been replying with a silly answer. "Mom, are you making supper?" "No, I'm washing an elephant!" (I try to make it totally obvious, so she knows it's a joke and not a lie. She responds by saying, "No, you're not!", and I'll say, "Well, was that a silly question?" "Yes...." This last week she turned it around on me and it took me totally by surprise. We were walking to the park Thursday night and she was saying, "Flip, flop, flip, flop" (she's still in love with wearing flip-flops). So I, in a supportive way, trying to show interest in what my child finds interesting, said, "Are you flip-flopping?" She said, "Yes (pause), what do you think, I'm washing an elephant?" It took me aback, and then I just started laughing. She sort of sideways smiled up at me and said, "Well, was that a silly question?" "Well, I was just... you were saying... ok, yes, that was a silly question!" That'll larn me! It's so funny when your words come back at you and smack you in the face. She's so funny, she cracks my head up.

I keep meaning to mention her fun turns of phrase. That's one of my favorites, "You crack my head up!" Another thing I find really funny is her saying, with an intent look on her face, "I'm keeping my eyes on you!" while using the "peace"-sign fingers to point at her eyes and then at you. Here's a mangled grammar example I find cute: "Where is my the other sock?" or "I'll get my the other shoe."

While she was eating her giant pickle, and Barb & I were talking about how she's crazy about pickles, I told Amanda that that could be her nickname, "Pickle". I explained what nicknames are and said maybe I'd call her "Pickle". Today after church, I called her that or mentioned it again, asking her did she remember we talked about that, since she likes pickles so much. She must have been thinking about nicknames and wanting to reciprocate, so she said, "Hey Mom, I could call you... well, you like work, right?" (Uh, no (worried about where this was going)) "What about play, you like to play?" (yes...) "And what else, you like to sleep?" (well, yes...) "Ok, Hi PlaySleep!" Too cute.

Here she is on the last night of VBS. The shirt was too big, since I didn't pre-register. Doesn't she look a bit too grown-up here, though? She is getting so big!
She's really excited about turning 6. Mom mentioned that she came across her copy of the videotape Patty took of our first meeting with Amanda, and she was really struck with how much Amanda has changed. I just keep noticing how she's getting taller and her pants keep getting shorter. =) She is still very small for a 5-yr-old, much less a 6-yr-old.

Amanda wanted a picture of both of us after I took a pic of her VBS shirt:

We were at the playground Saturday night and a 3-yr-old was there with her grandpa, and she was only about an inch shorter than Amanda. They appeared to be about the same age. I was happy there was another little kid, as she enjoys playing with others, but it turned out to be a tough situation for me. The grandpa wanted to be super involved with Bailey, but Bailey wanted to play with Amanda, and Amanda wanted to be a little mother to Bailey and tell her what to do and what to play with. A was trying to encourage B to do the monkey bars while Grandpa was saying, "Bailey, want to go do the slide? Let's go over to the slide." I took Amanda aside and told her B's grandpa wanted to direct what B did, and A was not in charge of B, and she could play with her but should NOT boss her around. Off she went and promptly took B's hand and said, "Let's go over to the swings" and proceeded to try to help B into the swing before Grandpa got there. Another mini-conference between A & me, and a threat to leave if she bossed her again ("You are NOT in charge of Bailey!"). I wanted both kids to have fun, but the Grandpa was hovering like a mother hen and I didn't want to wreck his time with B. Luckily we both got each of our girls interested in some spinning circles that we had to hoist them up to, and we just were alongside each other, then we all went home. Yikes, I have social angst of my own, now I have to help a 5-yr-old figure out where some social lines are.

The foster/adopt conference was in Lincoln, and I've attended once in the past. It's a good way to earn hours toward maintaining my foster care license and the classes were interesting. The adopt piece of was mostly targeting those who adopt through foster care, but it was interesting nonetheless. (I love how nonetheless used to be three words and evolved to be one ok-to-use word.) Last time, I didn't want to cost them money for the hotel room that was part of our conference fee, so I didn't ask for a room, but this time I thought Amanda would enjoy the swimming pool. It wasn't very big, but part of it was 2ft, which was perfect for her. We were lucky enough to get Uncle Keith to come swimming with us. Here he is, about to launch her:


Wheeeee! Uncle Keith, you're awesome!
Lounging in our hotel room at the Cornhusker Hotel, post-swimming and -bath.
Tuesday, 7/21, I was doing some stuff outside the front of the house, and Amanda asked if she could sit in the front of the car. I said ok, and she spent at least 15 minutes, just sitting in the front passenger seat with some 'travel stuff', just having a good time talking to herself and whoever else she imagined to be talking to. I just thought it was cute/interesting, so I took a pic. Notice she has her seat belt on! Good girl!
One of the best parts of the family reunion, for me, was watching Amanda's wonderful older cousins play with her in the pool while I stayed dry and watched and read a book on the sidelines (Friday night) or while I played cards (Saturday night). Brittany, Abby & Josh were all just awesome to her, and to me, to give me the break. Cousin Abby:
Cousin Brittany:
Cousin Josh (and Abby):
We had a lot of fun sharing a room with Aunt Barb. She has an iPod and was jamming to some great tunes as we prepared for the day Saturday am. Here are the two fab dancers:

Family rocks!!! =)

No comments: