Monday, May 18, 2009

My moment

Have you seen the "aha moment" commercials? I work for Mutual of Omaha, and the "aha moment" tour was in Omaha for two days last week. I signed up and had my moment recorded, and it was recently posted on their website: ahamoment.com (direct link below, but if you go to the main page, there's a link at the top for aha moments, and I was on page 7 (teal shirt), but it seems to mix them up randomly.

This ad campaign has really touched me - it doesn't specifically promote Mutual of Omaha's products, yet it underlines one of the basic things in life: Making sure you are in a position to do what you want or need to do, whether it's travel, buy a home, or pay for an adoption!

They posted a link to all the employee moments on our intranet today. The information that all employee's moments would be linked for everyone to see almost made me not do it, but I wanted to, to honor what God did to bring Amanda into my life (although they cut out my mentioning that God matched us up), and just maybe to encourage someone else who might be considering adoption. Several coworkers told me that my moment made them cry. I'm just glad I did ok! Well, anyway, you be the judge!

Here's a direct link to my moment:
http://www.ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/1620

The song I mention always makes me cry (during filming, I had to stop after just quoting part of the chorus, as it was making me tear up and I didn't want to cry!) Here are the complete lyrics, written by Steven Curtis Chapman (can you read this and not cry?):

All I really Want

Well, I don't know if you remember me or not
I'm one of the kids they brought in from the home
I was the red-haired boy in an old, green flannel shirt
You may not have seen me, I was standing off alone

I didn't come and talk to you 'cause that's never worked before
And you'll probably never see this letter, anyway
But just in case there's something you can do to help me out
I'll ask you one more time

All I really want for Christmas is someone to tuck me in
A shoulder to cry on if I lose, shoulders to ride on if I win
There's so much I could ask for, but there's just one thing I need
All I really want for Christmas is a family

Well, I guess I should go ahead and tell you now
If it's really true about that list you have
Somehow I always seem to end up in a fight
But I'm really trying hard not to be bad

But maybe if I had a brother or a dad to wrestle with
Maybe they could teach me how to get along
And from everything I've heard, it sounds like the greatest gift on earth
Would be a mom

All I want for Christmas is someone who'll be here
To sing me happy birthday for the next 100 years
And It's okay if they're not perfect or even if they're a little broken
That's alright, 'Cause so am I

Well, I guess I should go, it's almost time for bed
Maybe next time I write you I'll be at home

`Cause all I really want for Christmas is someone to tuck me in
Tell me I'll never be alone, someone whose love will never end
Of all that I could ask for, well, there's just one thing I need
All I really want for Christmas is a family

*sniff, sniff*

4 comments:

Maeflower said...

Wow! How wonderful! God bless you for helping to open people's eyes to the many children who need families. How dreadful it would be to be in an orphanage and see others adopted while you have to keep waiting. Wonderful video. Course I'm a teensy bit biased but I'll bet everyone would agree.
Love ya,
Mom

Lynnette said...

Sis - I'm in tears after watching your video and thank you so much for the courage to share your story. There may be others out there thinking they have to wait and yet they can do this now!

God bless you and Amanada,
Lynnette

Chris and Carie said...

Great video Kathy. I'm not the mushy type, So I'll leave those comments to others, but I had to ask about the ahha moment. I heard you guys were in a fight with Oprah about trademarking that. Heard that on the radio the other day, and then saw your post. Take care, tell Amanda Hi.
Chris

Chris and Carie said...

Kathy, I had big tears welling up when I watched your video- I loved it! How touching, and of course, I could relate, as well - God path led us to Jacob, but of course it took some time before we "got it" with an aha moment. You and Amanda are so blessed to have found each other! We love reading your blog! Carie