Sunday, March 1, 2009

March - Spring is getting closer!

Boy, every time I turn around, half a month is gone! Maybe two blogs a month is just going to be my average. Here's Amanda at her dance class on 2/16. She was only sort of well-behaved this night. I had to have her sit by me a couple of times when she wasn't listening or wouldn't go back to her class when asked. Oh, I remember, I got really irritated one time when she came over, right in the middle of class, to ask me (in a whisper, like that lessened the disruption), if when we got home, if she could have some candy. I couldn't believe it. You're standing here, being naughty and leaving your class, like I asked you not to, and you're asking if you can have candy when we get home? What are the chances, kiddo?!?
The next week, she was SO GOOD! I praised her up and down after class, and when Ms. Connie overheard me, she agreed and praised her, too. This is a new leotard she got from a little girl in class - it was too small for her so her mom brought it and a bunch of flesh-colored tights for Amanda to have. Very nice! The leotard is just right for Amanda (maybe just a touch on the small side, but it's working just fine). This pic is from the 2/23 class.BTW, to tie up a loose end from previous posts, they found my keys! Thanks for any mention anyone might have made to God, I appreciate it. Thanks, God! I feel so much better having them back. They were in the way back top shelf of the locker we had used. I had been concerned that they'd fallen out of my coat somewhere between the car, lobby, locker room, but didn't double check the top shelf of the locker (are you all saying 'duh!' with me?).

It's Sunday night, 3/1, as I write this, and she had her last class of level 1 swimming lessons, and she has passed to level 2 (her first class was preschool level). She is a total fish and has no fear, the only problem is getting her to pay attention and follow instructions without being silly. Last week was testing, and I heard the instructor ask her to show her a back float, and Amanda clung by the side and teasingly said, "I can't!" while sort of giggling. She's so silly!

Thursday, 2/19, Amanda & I went to the Home Show at the Qwest center, where my goal was finding a deal on a new garage door (found a company I liked, got an estimate a week later, and the door is on order - woo-hoo! Doing my part to stimulate the economy...). Amanda got to pet the dog at the Humane Society booth, hold a bird at a bird rescue booth, and play on the playground equipment on display, so she had some fun.There was an exotic animal show, but I didn't tell her about it beforehand because I didn't know if we'd be there at the right time. Well, we got the last two seats in the front row, and when three grown ladies ("volunteers") ran off the stage at the sight of a huge python (I think it was a python), she joined some kids in volunteering to hold it:
This pic is from my cell phone, so it's not great, but you get the idea! Amanda ran right up, and the lady was so impressed because she's so tiny, she told Amanda, "You look at those ladies who ran off the stage and flex your muscles and say, 'Look how brave and strong I am!'" It was pretty humorous. She even kissed the snake before the lady could tell her not to. She held the tail end, and the snake was winding around her and the next boy's leg (seeking warmth), so the lady had to keep untangling it. Amanda has no fear of snakes! I forgot to mention this in my blog, but we went to the zoo after work one day in December and only had time to go through the Lied Jungle. One of the first displays was a huge snake having supper - the tail and hind legs of a white rat were sticking out of its mouth. I thought, ok, teaching moment about the circle of life and all that, and told Amanda, "Look, the snake is having its supper." She said, "Oh, cute!" Hmmm, cute? Not for the rat!

Saturday 2/21 - Aunt Barb drove up from Lincoln and we took my car to drive up to Norfolk and see the folks. Barb drove and I worked on a cross-stitch project. It was nice to make some progress on that (Shayla, you might get your birth sampler before you graduate!) Amanda & I went over to see Uncle Mike & the kids while Barb helped Mom with computer stuff, then we all went over to have an awesome dinner (noon meal) prepared by Mom. The only negative of the trip was that we didn't get to see Aunt Cheryl, but she works nights and was asleep during our visit, and we certainly didn't want to wake her. While at Mike's, Amanda talked him into letting us see the horses, and she got to sit on Winter's back for a little bit. It was cold and windy, and the horses were frisky, having not been ridden much all winter.
At Mom & Dad's, Mike had some fun wrestling with Amanda and his daughter Shayla, while in the picture below, Barb is explaining some basic concepts of pitch to Aaron. Later, Mike joined the card playing and the girls went outside. Not sure what they did outside, but Shayla did a great job watching Amanda (at least, I assume she did, as she didn't go missing or get hurt).
Me and the (belated) birthday girl, playing cards. Mom's birthday is 2/11, and Mike's is 2/6. We just made it a day trip, arriving about 10am and leaving about 3:30pm.
Sunday 2/22 was a busy morning for me, as we marked Christ's transfiguration. Choir sang at both services and we did quite a few pieces. Murphy's Law has it that when I have to be at two services, the gal who babysits in the playroom, Jessica, calls in sick (or whatever), so Amanda has to sit through two services instead of just playing in the playroom for the second. Tough for a little kid. The second service, I asked if she could sit with Stephanie & Kim, two of her favorite people, and she did pretty well with them. At the early service, I let her sit with Sue & Lois, two more of her favorite people, and I think she was pretty good for them, too. It's so nice to have friends for her to sit with - she has a hard time leaving me alone when I'm singing (same problem kids have when their parent is on the phone, or in the bathroom, etc - that is when they HAVE to tell you something).
Tuesday I left work early and zoomed down to Lincoln, where we joined Cindy, Keith & Brandon in a trek down to Kansas to see my niece Brittany be honored at senior night between the girls' and boys' basketball games, and mostly to see her take part in a cheerleading stunt routine during halftime of the boys' game. It was an awesome routine. Brittany is petite, so she was often one of the girls on the top of the pyramid (not sure what to call it - it wasn't a pyramid) and then tossed in the air. At one point, she was tossed sideways to the people catching her, which took us by surprise. It was such a fun routine and the whole group did a great job. Here's a pic of our cheerleader, caught in a cute moment talking to her mom & dad.
It was worth the trip, for sure, although it was a lot of driving (just under an hour to Lincoln, and then 2.5 hours to my sister's and the high school, and then back). Amanda slept most of the way home, of course, but still not a good night's sleep. We got home and to bed about 12:50am, and 5:30am came way too early. We stayed home Wednesday night. I hated to miss Ash Wednesday services, but decided we needed to lay low and go to bed early. Amanda had had a fever earlier in the day (they called to ask if it was ok to give her some Tylenol), and she was fine the rest of the day, but I didn't want to push anything. Then I came down with a cold, helped no doubt by the lack of sleep. It's mostly gone now (Sunday) and luckily I was able to sing this morning. I had signed up to be the soloist at the early service (hard to time having a cold with when I sign up to sing). And, surprisingly, Jessica was there (going against Murphy's Law, since I had to sing at both services), so Amanda could just hang out in the playroom for the second service. (And, to clear up any implied aspersions against Jessica - she's actually there 98-99% of the time. It's just my Murphy's Law, two-service Sundays that are sometimes the exception. And she's great with the kids, so she is definitely a blessing.)

Let's see - any other loose ends to tie up? I got my permanent crown replaced Wednesday, so that's nice (not nice to pay for, but nice to have done.) I was going to go to Lincoln Friday night to go out with a friend of mine who just got divorced, but decided against it when the forecast called for 3-5 inches of snow. Another friend asked me to dog/house sit overnight instead, so Amanda & I spent the night at her house so we could let the dog out. Driving home the next morning wasn't a problem, as the plows had been out by then. I shoveled the driveway, and then we headed to the new Petco store which was giving away $10 gift cards to the first 100 customers. We got our gift card, and also found the caricaturist, who was to be doing free pics for people w/their pets from 10-2. It was only about 9:15, and since we didn't have pets with us, I hadn't planned to even check it out, but Amanda was talking to him and he had his table set up and so did a picture of her, and put in our two cats. So cute!
I had to scan the caricature, so while I was scanning, I got the below ornament scanned, which I've been meaning to do. I had been wanting to get a special ornament for Amanda's first Christmas home but didn't find anything that was right. Patty gave Amanda a cute snowman personalized ornament, which was neat, so she did at least have that. During Lynnette's whirlwind December Kansas/Lincoln/Omaha visit, we stopped at her friend Peg's house. Peggy is an artist, so Lynnette & I asked her if she could do something for Amanda. I discussed options with her while Lynnette entertained Amanda, and just a couple of weeks ago, I got the ornament in the mail with a note from Peggy saying that it was her gift to us! So beautiful, and such a wonderful gift! I've been carrying around a thank you to send to Peg, but haven't gotten it written yet. Shame on me!!!!

1 comment:

Lynnette said...

Dear little sis,

You really make us all feel like we are part of your lives with this blog, even when we are across the country! Thanks for making the time to upload the pictures and share the big and not so big events in your lives. Amanda is really growing up quickly and to see her confidence with the snake and in her dancing and swimming is just incredible. It is simply amazing to think that two years ago we didn't even know her because now it feels like she has been part of our lives forever.

May God bless and keep you both healthy and safe in his loving arms. We love you very much!

Big sis Lynnette and The Don