Sorry for the big lag between Dec. 6th and now! I can't think what was keeping me from getting it done. Just a few life activities here and there (every spare minute!).
I wanted to include our Christmas card pic, but the scanned image isn't large enough to show well. But you get the idea. These are pics Amber took, and the verbiage says
Here's just a sample of our December activities.Sat. Dec 6th she had a swimming lesson, and I treated her (and me) to McDonald's for lunch so she could play in the indoor activity playground. I can't remember what else I did that weekend, except get the tree up and maybe try to get my house back in shape after Thanksgiving. I only got lights on the tree, no other decorations, and she was disappointed because the lights weren't colored like Aunt Cindy's tree - oh well, maybe next year.
Dec 10th we had a visit with our social worker, so she could do our second post-placement report for Russia.
Sat. Dec 13th I had a missions committee meeting/brunch fellowship at the chairman's house, which is always so nice and I didn't want to miss it, although we had to leave early to get to the children's program rehearsal at church, which we had to leave early to get to her last swimming lesson. Actually, we stayed for most of the brunch, because I realized that due to the amount of baggage I was carrying to get us through all the activities that day, I'd forgotten my purse. I didn't want to drive all over Omaha w/o my license, so we skipped the rehearsal and went from the brunch, back home for the purse, then on to the swimming lesson. She got a "report card" and found out that she had passed to the next level - yea! After getting her hair dry and trying to make her look presentable, we headed off to the Christmas party for my foster care agency, Lutheran Family Services. (I don't do foster care anymore, but have kept my license active for respite and emergency purposes.) That was a nice lunch with activities and Santa, and presents as well. We arrived late (the theme of this day was a combination of leave early/arrive late) but had enough time to eat some lunch and make some crafts, and some time for her to play with the other kids. Here's a pic of Amanda's first up-close visit with Santa:
In the morning, Abby & Amanda got dressed up to enjoy the snow that had fallen overnight. I hadn't brought any snowgear for Amanda but she wore some extra boots of Abby's and extra underclothes and mittens. Actually, we almost left Omaha without even her winter coat! We stopped at my house on the way out of town to get some things I'd forgotten, and for a last potty break, and were all settled in the car without our coats on (who wants to wear a coat for a 3-hour trip?) when I realized that Amanda didn't even have her coat in the car! I'd taken it off her when she went potty and hadn't grabbed it along with everything else! Luckily, we'd only gone down the block before I realized and went back for it. No coat in December - not a good idea! Here are the snow angels (and the snow angels they made).
In Lincoln, I suggested it would be a grand idea if we found a McD's or Burger King with an activity area, so Amanda could get some energy burned off after the long drive, before we went to nephew Brandon's choral concert. Aunt Barb joined us and we enjoyed chatting and watching Amanda play in the play area. The concert was nice, and Amanda did a good job sitting through that, too. She had a variety of people to sit with - Uncle Keith, Amber, and Aunts Cindy, Barb & Lynnette. I took her out for a potty break and let her run up and down the hallways during one group's set. It was a long two days of driving and sitting! We stayed and played cards for awhile and got back to my house late. The next morning we got up early to get Lynnette back to the airport (whirlwind visit!) and Amanda to daycare and me to work. Leaving the house that morning, I also had to be ready for the night activities, as I took Amanda straight from daycare to Burger King to eat (again! not great, I know, but close to daycare and easy) to the hall for her daycare Christmas program. Are you counting? 4 programs in a row! After Saturday's day of 4 or 5 activities! What a crazy week!
It was a really nice program. They had the lights dimmed so the children wouldn't see the parents and cry or not sing, so the lighting wasn't great for parents to see the kids or videotape, but it was sufficient. I recorded the whole thing, and tried to take still shots at the same time, but finally asked the lady sitting next to me if she would take some pics of the little girl in cranberry (Christmas dress #3) when Amanda's class was up there. She gave the camera to her son or grandson, and he got some pretty decent pics. Here's one during the verse "Christmas makes me clap"
They sang "Silent Night" in Spanish, but I didn't have a program and didn't know what was coming up. The intro music was peaceful and placid, as you would imagine, and then imagine 9 kids totally shouting in Spanish, "NOCHE DE PAZ, NOCHE.." etc. Add to that the fact that I didn't know it was going to be a Spanish song - I couldn't figure out what they were shouting, but it was the funniest thing. Everyone was chuckling at their gusto. It was a neat program, and Amanda had fun running around playing with her friends afterwards. Then Santa showed up! Santa visit #3 (well, she didn't actually visit with Santa #2, although she did go straight from Mrs. Claus' lap over to him to say hi, right when they were taking pictures of another kid on his lap. No, Amanda, come back here! But she just said hi and then came away). Amanda joined the kids trying to hug him or hold his hand, and he made his way to the front where they set up a chair for him. The lights were still dimmed, so I ran around and finally found the switch (up high in the corner - really weird place for a light switch), and by the time I came over, I found that she had arranged to be the first in line, and was just then getting off Santa's knee, so I didn't get a pic. She again enjoyed chatting with him, and was excited to get a little candy cane from him. Pretty fun night.
Sat. Dec 20th. *Whew* We have some time to just BE. I finally got the ornaments out and we decorated the tree. "Mom, we have a lot!" - she was so excited and exclaimed over every ornament. She did a pretty good job putting them on the tree. Then we went outside and enjoyed some time in the newly fallen snow, and she got to play with neighbor Mike some, too, as he came over to snowblow my driveway and spin her around some. Another snow angel:Christmas! Mom & Dad & Barb joined us for Christmas Eve services at my church, and then we went to Village Inn to eat. Next year, if they join us again, I'll be more organized and have soup or something for supper. We didn't have to wait long to be seated at Village Inn, but it's expensive, and it's more fun for Amanda & me if we can be at home where she doesn't have to sit the whole time. Restaurants aren't the best experience for us. She's good for 30-45 minutes but after that, she starts to act naughty. Can't blame her - it's tough for a little kid to just sit. Anyway, we had a nice Christmas Eve, and Barb & Mom made some cookies for the next day at Cindy's while I put Amanda to bed and ran back to church to sing for late service (which I probably didn't need to do, as I don't really think I was desperately needed, but oh well). I'd forgotten to do the Santa talk with Amanda, but I did put out a cup, and a plate with an eaten cookie for her to find in the morning. Her Santa present was a sled and stocking stuffers, and a sign that said, "To Amanda From Santa. Try to be good." Patty was sort of disapproving that I'd put that on the sign, but I still think it's right in line with Santa's philosophy, so why wouldn't he put that on her note? He wasn't saying she was naughty (otherwise there would have been no presents, right?) He was just encouraging her to be good. So I stand behind Santa's note 100%. =)
I woke her up and rocked with her, and we talked about Christmas and Santa leaving presents. She didn't quite get that Santa had visited HER and left HER presents, so I lead her to the living room and showed her the sled, and the plate and cup. I'm not totally sold on the 'have to believe in Santa' thing, although Mom really wanted me to have her believe. Amanda picked up enough from kids at school and of course, from her Santa visits, that I didn't see much of a choice between having the plate & cup vs. not having him visit at all. I don't think it hurt me to believe in Santa and then not believe. Mom says she still believes in Santa. =)
Amanda in her sled with some of her presents: I must admit, the next pic is a recreated picture. She was going under the tree to get a package out, and she looked so cute but my camera wasn't ready, so she willingly went back and recreated the moment for me. So cute with her little bottom sticking in the air under the tree...
Then on to my sister Cindy's for family Christmas. Amanda wasn't too spoiled with presents, but she did get quite a bit. I noticed Abby to one side with her mom, Patty, during present opening, and went over to ask her if she minded not being the littlest at Christmas anymore. She just smiled, and then Patty said, "She's counting how many presents Amanda is getting, and how many she's getting." Too funny! She wasn't mad about it, but was making a point of counting! Ain't it terrible not to be the youngest... Hmm, actually, I have no idea... (another 'sucks to be you' message, sent out to my sisters. Just kidding! Love ya!) =)
We always miss brother Mike's family, and Lynnette and her husband Don, who aren't with us on Christmas, but here's a pic of those of us that were together in Lincoln, including cousin Lloyd ("Uncle Lloyd" to the kids).
My Christmas had a sad end. Right after Amanda & I got home, about 9:30pm, my friend called me to let me know that her mom had been killed in a car accident earlier that day, coming home from her son's house after spending Christmas. What a tragedy, and what can you say to a friend except cry with her? She had lost control on some ice/snow and had hit a pickup head on (the people in the pickup were treated and released).
I was able to carpool with some other gals to the funeral on the 30th. It was in a little town by Hastings, about 2-3 hours away, so the carpooling was really nice. It was a sad day, but I was so glad to be able to be there. A gal at work, whose grandson attends the same daycare, said she would get Amanda if for some reason I was unable to get back before the daycare closed at 6pm (I wanted to prepare for the unlikely event, and I gave the daycare a note to that effect), but we had no problems and I picked Amanda up at around 5pm.
Sorry to end on a sad note, but praise God that Marilyn believed in Christ and is now with Him, and her husband, in heaven.
3 comments:
I resolve to check in on you more often and see how you are holding up there little mom. Wow! Such a lot of activity and capturing it all for us to share. Thank you! It was wonderful to spend the time with you and Amanda on my whirlwind trip. I will miss going to the concerts at East High and singing the Hallejuah Chorus.
Hopefully one of these years soon Don and I can join the Gnirk side of the family for Christmas. Thanks for remembering us in spirit.
God's blessings on your New Year!
Love, Tyotya Nette
Very nice story. Exhausts me with the busy schedule you two had, and knowing your schedule continued busy over the New Year and on for another few days (or more?). Will be looking for that installment.
God's blessings to you both in your continuing saga of being mother and child in 2009.
Love ya,
Babushka--who knows Santa lives in the spirit of Christmas but Jesus is the reason for the season
It's amazing how much you got done in December. I pray that the months ahead are less hectic and you find time for hot chocolate, cookies and lots of cuddling!
Love you both,
Aunt Barb
Post a Comment