Friday, January 25, 2008

Made it to Moscow!

Well, it has been quite a "day" of traveling. My flight out of Omaha got going late due to the crew having a flat tire on the way to the airport. Then we got out to the runway and had to return to the gate due to a problem - the aircraft couldn't turn left. They thought it was due to the cold weather and would take maybe 45 minutes to de-ice the hydralics. That made my connection in Atlanta to be in jeopardy, and since I was an international traveler, I was first on their list to attend to. My original booking was all Delta, but they transferred me to an American Airlines flight going to Chicago. I got on that flight, we got away from the gate, and the pilot announced that Chicago was controlling the traffic coming in and had them on a 45-minute wait. It quickly changed to 30 minutes, but I was still very anxious. I got in to Chicago with about a half hour layover, raced to the Delta gate, and found that my flight to New York JFK was delayed (of course!). I was worried (again) that I would miss the flight from JFK to Moscow, but arrived in time and I got the gate with time to spare. Unfortunately, the weight of my laptop bag hanging on my roll-on carryon bag was enough to cause part of one wheel to give and I had to drag it the last 25 yards to the gate. So here's my theory - all the nerve-racking stuff happened on the front end of the trip and the rest will be smooth sailing! All in favor, say aye.

I met up with Elizabeth, the other single mom traveling with my adoption agency, and her daughter Katerina, a cute 6-yr-old. They're from South Carolina, so I'm in danger of picking up their accent. =) We landed in Moscow early on Friday and went through passport control (they're always so cheerful there - not! Remember, Patty?) I'm back in the land of lots of cigarettes, some BO and much rudeness. I had to force my way into the plane aisle to deplane as the people coming from the back had no concept of people going in order. And I must say, I didn't feel guilty about it at all. Adapt or perish!

One of Elizabeth's bags didn't make it but mine did. I was surprised, as they had to get it off the first Delta plane and to the AA plane, with not much connection time each stop. I was impressed! We stopped at Lost and Found and filled out the forms - they will get it to the region tomorrow, after we get there. We checked into the hotel by the airport and paid our $160 total for a room for 6 hours. Seems like a lot, but really worth it to lay down and rest. I shared the room with Elizabeth & Katerina, so only $80 each. We had a bit of excitement as Katerina locked herself in the bathroom and couldn't get it unlocked! I'm sure it was due to my presence - she was just nervous about anyone coming in while she was in the bathroom. Luckily, I noticed as she tried to move the lock that the other side also moved and looked like the head of a screw, so I used the bottle opener on the desk and was able to "unscrew" the lock from the outside. She was a relieved, teary little girl!

We had to check out at 6pm, and received a phone call from our coordinator/translator that the driver would be late, arriving 8:30-9 instead of 8pm. So we put our stuff in the waiting area, I noticed the "business area" and we are in here typing without asking permission! I'm feeling nervous - perhaps it's free since we're registered guests, but if it costs a bit, I'd rather get this posted and log off! So, that's your (long) update from me. Safe and sound in cold, snowy Moscow. Our flight leaves about 10pm and we arrive in the region 6am and have all weekend with nothing. Court Monday morning! I'll be finding the internet cafe in Kemerovo (thanks for the directions, Chris & Carie!) and will post from there.

Adios! (I'm still fighting the urge to speak Spanish to Russians when I know they don't speak English. It's the only other language I know! )

2 comments:

Patty said...

Kathy,
Got your phone message. Glad you made it over the ocean OK. Did not envy you that flight (or the airport worries). Oh yes, I remember the cheerful Russians. :(
I will be with you in spirit and keep you in my prayers as you bring that precious little one home. Hugs and Kisses to Amanda from Auntie Patty!

Lynnette said...

Kathy,

Looking back on this is strange since I sort of know how the story goes but I'm still going to make a comment on every page because you wrote it for us (and for you and Amanda but still, it deserves a comment).

Don's been keeping me updated and I must say, this blogging is easier than trying to relay phone messages, etc.

Love you loads, Lynnette